Hours of Operation
OPEN 10:00 - 4:00
Monday - Friday
CLOSED - Saturdays, Sundays and all major holidays
Closed during some inclement weather events. Please call first to check opening/closing.
$5.00 Seniors - 55 and older
Children 4 and under admitted free
Wilkes Heritage Museum
100 East Main Street
P.O. Box 935
Wilkesboro, NC 28697
Jennifer Furr - Director
Diana Perry - Volunteer Coordinator
Wilkes Heritage Museum, Inc. is a private, non-profit organization formed in 1968. The Wilkes Heritage Museum, Inc. is responsible for operating and maintaining the Old Wilkes Jail (c. 1859), Robert Cleveland Log Home (c. 1779), and the Wilkes Heritage Museum (former Wilkes County Courthouse, c. 1902).
- Large Turnout for Huey Helicopter The museum had a large turnout for the visiting Huey Helicopter. View all of the pictures.
- BRMHoF Blue Ridge Music Hall of Fame Ceremony! June 8th!
- Gift Shop Tired of giving the same old gifts. Find something new and different in our gift shop. Shop at the museum or online.
- Candlelight Ghost Tours The Ghost Tour season is in full swing! Checkout our website and like us on Facebook.
- School Tours Lots of adventures for students at the museum!
Blue Ridge Music Hall of Fame Dinner and Ceremony
2013 Blue Ridge Music Hall of Fame will be June 8th at the Stone Center for the Performing Arts.
Thank you BRMHoF Sponsors!
Support YOUR Museum!
The Wilkes Heritage Museum is responsible for preserving the history of this area as well as celebrating our musical heritage! Without the museum, we would not be able to preserve the history of this area. Please help continue this valuable work by participating in the fundraising events the museum puts on during the year.
How can you help?
- Become a museum member
- Purchase tickets and attend our events
- Purchase items from our gift shop
- Patronize our business sponsors and thank them for their support!
- Give a donation
- Business owners! Please call the museum to see how you can help us.
That's right! We have books for sale at the museum! Everything from historical non-fiction to ghostly tales of terror! We are also adding a link from our SHOP page directly to our online Book Store. If you can't come by in person, browse online.
The Wilkes Heritage Museum, Inc. was established in 1968 with the intent of restoring
the Old Wilkes County Jail to its original 1860 appearance and operating it as an
educational center for the community. Since then, restoration of the Old Wilkes County
Jail has been completed as well as the 1779 home of Captain Robert Cleveland, the late
19th century Finley Law Office, and the 1902 Wilkes County Courthouse.
The Wilkes Heritage Museum, Inc. now finds it home in the newly restored 1902 Wilkes
County Courthouse celebrating it's unique heritage as it seeks to preserve the past of
Wilkes County. Since it's official opening in November 2005, the Wilkes Heritage
Museum, Inc. has undoubtedly contributed to the education and culture of the county's
present and future. Through a collection of artifacts and images, numerous stories of
early settlement, military history, industry, agriculture, medicine, communication,
education, entertainment, and transportation are told.